Montefiore Medical Center has an outstanding Social Services Department with a long history of meeting the social, psychological and home care needs of patients and their families. Any patient in our hospitals and outpatient facilities may request a consultation with a Montefiore social worker.
How We Help
Our social workers are trained to assess patient and family needs that stem from the diagnosis or treatment of an illness or as a result of a hospital stay or discharge. We help patients and families address issues such as worries about finances or doubts about how a family will manage a loved one’s care. When concerns are left unchecked, they can create stress that aggravates a patient’s medical condition.
Montefiore’s social workers are certified counselors who can identify the resources to meet a variety of patient needs. Major services include:
- Psychosocial assessment and counseling of the patient/family
- Discharge planning
- Health education
- Outpatient case services
Information and Referral Services
Our social workers are also highly knowledgeable about government and community entitlement programs. We assist patients and families with information and referrals to city, state and federal programs, including:
- Entitlements: cash, food, medical insurance
- Mental health services
Financial Aid Policy
Montefiore's mission is to provide quality medical care to all who need it.
If you live in the Montefiore service area and do not have health insurance, or worry that you may not be able to pay in full for your care, we can help. We may be able to help you get government assistance or low-cost health insurance, or we can work with you to arrange a manageable payment plan. Montefiore provides financial aid to patients based on their income, assets and needs.
It is important that you let us know as soon as possible that you may have trouble paying your bill. Federal and state laws require that all hospitals seek full payment for what they bill patients.
For more information, please contact Montefiore's Financial Aid Office at 718-944-3800. We will treat your questions with the utmost confidentiality and courtesy.
How to Request Assistance
- Any patient or family member may request to meet with a Montefiore social worker. Ask the patient’s doctor or nurse to have a social worker join the healthcare team.
- In some instances a social worker is automatically brought in as a member of the healthcare team. These include cases of child, elder, domestic or sexual abuse; substance abuse; or a life-threatening event.
- Members of the community may contact our Information and Referral Services directly to request assistance for a Montefiore patient.
Local Community Resources
Access a selected list of organizations providing services to residents in the Bronx area.
To Contact Montefiore Social Services
Please call 718-741-2FLP(2357)
Information and Referral Services: 718-920-6707